Junior SQL DBA
Junior SQL DBA
The Junior SQL Server DBA will be responsible for supporting implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications.
This is a “hands-on” position requiring good technical experience and a thirst for knowledge and development. As well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the right candidate will be responsible for ensuring the security, availability and integrity of data.
- Support SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments from development to production.
- Monitoring of the security, health and performance of the SQL estate to deliver reliability and resilience.
- Providing problem resolution end-to-end, analysing and solving issues in real-time to mission critical systems.
- Applying and maintaining DBAR policies across the SQL estate.
- Refining and automating business-as-usual dataflow processes.
- Maintaining operational and technical support documentation as appropriate.
- Performing scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities outside of core hours.
- Proactive monitoring and tuning of SQL instances and databases to help in identifying underlying problems affecting the reliability and performance of applications.
- Deliver projects in line with agreed time scales, ensuring any changes to approved timing are formally managed.
- Assist in developing policies and future strategies in line with business requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in a Junior SQL Server DBA role, or a recent graduate where database administration has been a major.
- Good knowledge of SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016, SSIS, SSRS, T-SQL. BIML an advantage.
- Good knowledge of SSMS and Visual Studio Data Tools
- Good knowledge of query plans, index tuning and performance optimisation.
- Working knowledge of operating systems including Microsoft Server 2008, 2012 R2, 2016.
- Working knowledge of replication, clustering and high-availability solutions.
- Experience in collaborating with .NET developers; knowledge of C# an advantage.
- Experience of virtualisation platforms such as VMWare an advantage.
- Exceptional problem solving and analysis skills.
- Flexible; duties may demand evening and weekend work.
- High standards of personal achievement and a desire to acquire new skills.
In return for your hard work we offer excellent career progression opportunities and a professional environment where you can acquire, use, and continue developing your skills.
Your package will include:
- Competitive Salary and pension scheme with life assurance
- 25 Days Holiday (plus 8 statutory Bank Holidays)
- Employee Assistance Programme supporting wellness with immediate access to:
- GP consultation and second opinions
- Mental health support
- Financial and Legal support
- Wellbeing and healthy living support
- Employee referral scheme with financial reward
- Professional Membership and Study Sponsorship
- Pass scheme (£100 to undertake training of your choice)
- Subsidised canteen
At TVS SCS we encourage and support our employees to realise their potential. They are empowered to take initiative, and achieve high impact results that really make a difference to our business and our customers.
TVS are currently operating on a fully remote working basis, there will however, be a period of time at the start of your employment spent in our office familiarising yourself with our systems and process. The longer term plan is to introduce hybrid remote and office working.
Where we are:
Our head office is based at a purpose built, state of the art distribution facility on Buckshaw Village in Chorley with excellent transport links to the M61 and M6 plus a mainline train station less than a mile away. The office has on site parking, shower facilities for those who brave the elements on a bike or on foot and a subsidised canteen.
If you require any adjustments to allow you take a full and active part in the selection process, please notify us as part of your application. Please note TVS Supply Chain Solutions is an Equal Opportunities Employer.