The inventory planner is responsible for forecasting and planning of a range of items, with the goal of achieving service level and inventory targets for specific clients. This includes all aspects of the client’s planning, from initial stocking to general forecasting, supplier batch control, product changes, etc. The role also includes client liaison and reporting.
The department uses msys.DFP for forecasting and planning based on previous demand history, msys.BDA for reporting and msys.ERP for most other work.
The role also includes supporting the Inventory Planning department’s ongoing continuous improvement and project work. This may also involve support for new business bids, for example, by inventory and service level modelling, and support for take-on of new clients, internal consultancy, etc.
The post would suit a graduate in a numerate subject, or equivalent, wishing to apply their skills in a commercial supply-chain setting
- Responsible for all aspects of a client’s forecasting and planning. Understand client’s business needs related to planning, and build up a good working relationship with client contacts and internal departments.
- Use the department’s main system, msys.DFP, to:
- Review and resolve forecasting and planning exceptions.
- Revise the planning on items introduced, or changed by, supersessions.
- Implement planning changes given information from the client such as events, campaigns, supplier constraints, service actions, etc.
- Liaise with client on initial stocking and scrapping decisions.
- All-time-buy analysis for items using the long term forecasting system.
- After exploring alternatives, process and authorise vendor minimum batch requests.
- Investigate reasons for holding specific inventory of items.
- Represent the department at internal and external client review meetings.
- Develop and improve client reporting in msys.BDA.
- Main Duties – Continuous Improvement
- Understand a process that needs improvement, involving all stakeholders, and formulate proposals for improvement.
- Manage continuous improvement projects through to implementation, involving all stakeholders.
- Support implementation of new systems, by testing, analysis, recommending improvements, etc.
- Writing of requirements for IT development projects.
- Support the new business bidding process, for example by inventory modelling, advising on achievable KPIs, presentation of the company’s systems, etc.
- Support implementation of msys.DFP for new clients, improvements to DFP, etc.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in a numerate discipline, or equivalent.
- Competent in Microsoft Word and Excel. Advanced Excel skills are advantageous.
- Any programming skills and experience (e.g., SQL, Python, R) are advantageous.
- Competency in database reporting systems is advantageous
Inventory management or planning in a service support or aftermarket role.
- Supply chain experience in the following sectors is advantageous: automotive aftermarket, beverages dispense equipment, utilities equipment, defence equipment.
- Working with forecasting, MRP or ERP systems.
- Client reporting and liaison.
- Analytical Abilities
- Planning and Organising
- Customer Focus