This position is responsible for effective growth, management and utilization of the company’s transportation assets. The role is expected to streamline operations for a small fleet of company operated assets. The role will oversee all aspects of the transportation function including P&L responsibility. The strategic vision of the company is to provide a minimum of 5x growth in the market segment in the next 5 years. The role will initially support a local function with an emphasis on aggressive growth developing a national service capability.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plan, implement, direct and supervise the scheduling of inbound and outbound shipments to meet customer needs in terms of contractual guidelines, special deliveries, supplemental deliveries, opening orders, etc.
- Interface with operations to resolve any problems associated with scheduling and dispatching.
- Recommend programs that improve the transportation function, customs concerns and regulating costs.
- Develop and operate an effective transportation information reporting system, ensure the accurate and timely preparation, processing, distribution, and retention of all necessary reports and records regarding transportation operations and develop additional and/or enhanced reports to support customer’s changing needs.
- Motivate and develop employees, including performance evaluation, counseling, and problem resolution to achieve a positive work environment.
- Manage all aspects payroll and weekly schedules for personnel.
- Prepare invoicing and accounts payable/receivables of freight bills; establish a financial audit for fleet operations to determine its cost-effectiveness.
- Manage and administer truck fleet by selecting drivers, equipment, dispatching, and performing maintenance, achieving expected service levels and managing costs.
- Resolve equipment failures or break-downs, providing advice and assistance to drivers, as well as submitting appropriate reports to leasing/maintenance provider for service and repair.
- Support Business Development, Sales and Marketing efforts as needed, including customer presentations and completion of transportation studies and analysis.
- Provide transportation support and assistance to customers as needed; participate in customer meetings as required.
- Provide flawless execution of the transportation services to our customers.
- Responsible for compliance and knowledge with Federal Department of Transportation regulations and other safety standards. Maintain compliance with local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for DOT testing and reporting as needed and ensure driver’s electronic logs are kept current and accurate.
- Regular and reliable attendance at work
- Customer / Client Focus
- Presentation Skills / Communication Proficiency
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making
- Negotiation Skills
Office / Warehouse environment. Warehouse subject to seasonal temperatures and regular exposure to forklift traffic.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The associate is occasionally required to sit or stand; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The associate may occasionally be required to lift 51 pounds, anything greater than 51 pounds requires assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full Time. Schedule flexibility for extended or unplanned work hours Is required.
- Travel between locations is required.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Sales & Marketing or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in transportation management
- P&L experience including costing and asset negotiation
- Experience with account management in supply chain / logistics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Auto CAD; Microsoft Project and Visio experience is a plus
- Experience with federal and state DOT guidelines
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.